On March 31, the Science and Technology Action Committee and CQ Roll Call hosted an event to discuss the urgent need for Congressional action to secure investment in science and technology infrastructure. The event featured national leaders from industry, academia and Capitol Hill focusing on the need to pass Bipartisan Innovation Act. Speakers included Rep. Frank Lucas (R-OK), National Science Foundation Director Dr. Sethuraman Panchanathan, Under Secretary for Science and Innovation at the Department of Energy Dr. Geraldine Richmond, and Deputy Director for Energy at OSTP Dr. Sally Benson.
As STAC co-chair Dr. Sudip Parikh said, “This is a once-in-a-generation opportunity, and Congressional leaders have shown real leadership in getting us this close to the finish line.” STAC is eager to support the conference process to pass this crucial competitiveness legislation.
Investing in Science and Technology for the Future of U.S. Global Competitiveness | Event Agenda and Video Timestamps:
- 0:00-5:54 | Opening Remarks | John Bennett, Editor-at-Large, CQ Roll Call & Dr. Sethuraman Panchanathan, Director, National Science Foundation. For a video of this segment, click here.
- 6:00 – 28:11 | Academia & Industry Expert Panel | Dr. Kristina Johnson, President, Ohio State University, Dr. Kaye Husbands Fealing, Dean and Ivan Allen Jr. Chair, Georgia Institute of Technology & Jordan Crenshaw, Vice President, U.S. Chamber of Commerce Technology Engagement Center. For a video of this segment, click here.
- 28:12 – 36:43 | Science & Technology Action Committee Panel | Dr. Keith Yamamoto, Vice Chancellor for Science Policy and Strategy, University of California, San Francisco, Dr. Sudip Parikh, CEO, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), Mary Woolley, President and CEO, Research!America & Jenny Luray, Vice President of Strategy and Communications, Research!America. For a video of this segment, click here.
- 36:50 – 56:56 | Biden Administration Panel | Dr. Geraldine Richmond, Under Secretary for Science and Innovation, U.S. Department of Energy & Dr. Sally Benson, Deputy Director for Energy, Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP). For a video of this segment, click here.
- 56:59 – 1:07:02 | Perspective From Congress | Rep. Frank Lucas, Ranking Member, House Science, Space & Technology Committee. For a video of this segment, click here.